Hero of the Month

Edward Cullen from SM's Twilight

Hero of the Week Archive
Hero of the Month Archive

Our Favorite Authors

Author Blogs That Rock

Our Personal Blogs

Random Books from our Library:

Rowena Is Reading:

Isabel is Reading:

Holly is Reading:

Grace is Reading:

Jazz is Reading:

Daphne is Reading:

Recent Posts

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Segregation and Racism in the Romance Community
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
The Seduction of His Wife by Janet Chapman
Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern
Every Breath You Take by Judith McNaught
Do Fat Girls Need Love Too?
Guest Blogger: Kim Howe
The Smoke Thief by Shana Abe
Your PERSONAL reading preferences

Old Stuff

January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2008

Links

Google
All About Romance

Wanna Buy A Good Book?

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Amazon
Half
E Bay

Email Us:
Got a question you want to ask us? Email us at:
sfinest@gmail.com

Credits:

Visitors

Who links to us?

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Witness in Death by J.D. Robb

Opening night at New York's New Globe Theater turns from stage scene to crime scene when the leading man is stabbed to death center stage. Now Eve Dallas has a high profile, celebrity homicide on her hands. Not only is she lead detective, she's also a witness - and when the press discovers that her husband owns the theater, there's more media spotlight than either can handle. The only way out is to move fast. Question everyone and everything . . . and in the meantime, try to tell the difference between the truth - and really good acting.

When I first started this series I think I read the first 6 back to back. Then the next few spread out. When I got to Loyalty for some reason I could not get through it. It was like I was on In Death overload. So I did what I never do, I put it down half way through it. As you know now I picked it back up and finished it (since I don't read out of order and I now am done this book) and seemed to right back on my In Death kick like I was in the start.

Sooooooo I pick up Witness in Death and OMG! I loved this one! I really think this one may be my favorite so far. Well maybe I really like the one where Mavis got with her man, but I forget the title. Anyhow, I'm gonna tell you all now, I won't give away the 'who do it' but I am talking about the Peabody, McNab etc. etc. So if you've never read the story and don't want to know about these people's personal lives then don't read.

Okay so Roarke opens one of his new acquisitions (is that the right word to use?), a Theater, it's opening night and the main actor is murdered right there on the stage, in front of thousands of witnesses, in front of Eve, and with a knife that was supposed to be a prop.

One thing J.D. Robb is good for is jumping right into the action.

Obviously this books about the who did it, most of the suspects are actors so Eve, along with her aid Peabody, have to peel away all the different layers. Who's acting? Who's not? How can you tell?

Not to mention we all (well anyone who's read any of these books) know that Eve struggles with the nightmares of her childhood and this case hits close to home on more than one occasion.

I think Eve became even more .... human in this book. Not that she was some cold hearted woman before. But in each book, Robb peels away a little more of Eve's armor and shows her vulnerability, allows her to lean more on her husband. And not only that but we saw some of the same in Roarke this time around too. Or maybe it could be I just took such a long break from the books that I feel like it's all new. lol.

But really when Eve tried to go the extra step and show Roarke how much she loves him I laughed, felt nervous for/with her, and just loved seeing how much they mean to each other.

The highlight of this book for me? Peabody, McNabe, and Monroe! OMG let me tell you, I was skimming through looking for more on them and then would go back all excited cause I knew more was coming. I don't even know who I like more, McNab or Monroe. I thought I was all for McNab but Monroe touches my heart too. Even though he is a man whore. lol. But Roarke said he's put his money on McNab, and he's not known to lose.

I don't know how J.D. Robb does it though. I laugh, cry and am on the edge of my seat the entire time I read her books. Oh and not to mention am Hot hot hot! Usually when I read a book I take for granted how much work goes into it. But not with these books. I can't fathom how she comes up with all these ideas, and the twists. Then all the stuff she makes up in her world years away from now. It just blows my mind.

This book will go down as one of my all time favorites. Tonight while laying in bed with my husband I actually turned to him and said...."I just want to read that book all over again, I can't stop thinking about it. Usually I have them figured out but she had me till the last second with this one. I want to reread it to see if I can pick up the clues."

In ending I leave you with a few of my favorite parts. If you've read the book you'll know what I"m talking about, if not MOVE YOUR ASS TO THE STORE! Or library, like me, I'm trying to be thrifty. But anyway, here they are:

Peabody drunk, Feeney's cologne, Eve with her candy thief, and Eve selecting dinner ware for her night with Roarke.

Grade~ A+++

(I'll review Loyalty later, I'm not feeling the creative juices flowing on that one right now. lol)

Labels: , ,

---------------------------------------------

3 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

I remember this one. It's so good. I can't wait for you to (finally) get through the rest of the series.

Eve cracks me up. And the whole Peabody, McNab, Charles thing was great.

Oh, and I think Innocent In Death is the book where Mavis gets with her man. :)

February 10, 2007 at 11:24 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

I only read the first two books and then I stopped reading it, this is one of those books for me that yeah I liked it but I don't get what the big fuss about them is, to each their own, I guess.

February 14, 2007 at 4:37 PM  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Since you read in order and thus haven't gotten to the later ones, I think I can say without it being a spoiler, that JD Robb continues to slowly remove layer after layer of Eve and with each layer removed she becomes even more fascinating. And as the books move along we get to see her and Roarke really work on some serious issues between them. But because they are so in love with each other, they each really do some compromising. These books I think are a wonderful study of a marriage between two passionate people deeply in love with so many opposing views on life. I've preordered the next one (forget the name) and can hardly wait until it's released and arrives in my little hands. Although most series bore me after a while, I don't think I'll ever tire of this one!

February 14, 2007 at 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All graphics made by Mailyn of ImaginaryOrigin.Blogspot.com unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy any of my designs.