Hero of the Month

Edward Cullen from SM's Twilight

Hero of the Week Archive
Hero of the Month Archive

Our Favorite Authors

Author Blogs That Rock

Our Personal Blogs

Random Books from our Library:

Rowena Is Reading:

Isabel is Reading:

Holly is Reading:

Grace is Reading:

Jazz is Reading:

Daphne is Reading:

Recent Posts

What Have You Read?
PS. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern
Into the Storm by Suzanne Brockmann.
Don't Look Now, But They're Out To Get You
April's Hero of the Month: Edward Cullen.
Hot Ticket by Various Authors.
The Rest Falls Away by Collen Gleason
Some Input Please
Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Night Secrets by Kat Martin

Old Stuff

January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2008

Links

Google
All About Romance

Wanna Buy A Good Book?

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Amazon
Half
E Bay

Email Us:
Got a question you want to ask us? Email us at:
sfinest@gmail.com

Credits:

Visitors

Who links to us?

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder


Hero: Valek
Heroine: Yelena Zaltana
Category: Paranormal
Grade: B++

You know your life is bad when you miss your days as a poison taster . . .

With her greatest enemy dead, and on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago, Yelena should be pleased. But though she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways -- and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better . . .

Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magic training -- especially as she's been given one year to harness her power or be put to death. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince -- and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians.

If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with all her new enemies...


MAJOR SPOILERS IN REVIEW, DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ ANY SPOILERS...YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Wow.

I zipped right through this book, it was so good.

I zipped from the beginning to the end, loving this book with every word that I read. Maria V. Snyder sure knows how to tell a story. She had me so engrossed in this story that I thought about the book when I was away from it, wondering what Yelena was going to get herself into when I was able to read again.

By page 200, though I was enjoying the new characters and enjoying learning more about Yelena and her background, I was missing Valek horribly. I even bitched at Holly for lying about there being more Valek in this book but then I kept reading and I got more excited.

I'm a reader who loves to revisit with old friends from previous books and Mrs. Snyder doesn't disappoint in this book. I loved seeing the Commander, Ari and Janco and most of all, I LOVED seeing Valek again. Seeing Valek in action and just being the amazing chamelion that he is, made the book just all the more great in my opinion.

I love how pure and strong Valek and Yelena's love is. I loved how intune with eachother they are and how fierce they are...together. I mean, apart their love never wavered but together, they are such a force to be reckoned with.

It was fantastic meeting Yelena's long lost family. I loved Perl and Esau, I loved reading about their reunion with their long lost daughter. I loved that they accepted Yelena for who she was and what she became and I loved how Perl wanted to make up for the fourteen years that Yelena was away from them. I loved how she worried Perl was when Yelena had to go and I loved Esau's intense faith in his daughter. I loved how instead of trying to keep her from the things she needed to do, they accepted that she had to do these things and even helped her with her mission. I loved how they had faith in her ability to get through all these complicated things and I just loved them.

They were a great family.

And then there was Leif. This guy totally annoyed me a lot throughout the book, with his crap toward Yelena. He was more of a hinderance to Yelena than anything else and that bothered me a lot during this book because I swore this guy was a bad guy...but I was glad that I was proven wrong with him because he proved to be a strong ally at the end with Valek and Yelena so I was glad that he was there to guard their six. haha.

The Master Magicians didn't prove to me that they were all powerful since Yelena was supposed to be no match to their all greatness and yet she singlehandedly took care of all of the problems that Sitia faced.

And she was the outsider.

What's really going on?

I loved all of the other characters that I met in this story, except Rose. I even liked Cahil up until the end, ooh, now I'm hoping that Valek will end him and rid his crap from Sitia and Ixia. I loved Mrs. Snyder's little world she's created with Yelena and Valek, I'm loving all of this magic business and cannot wait to get my hands on Fire Study.

The ride is not done and I'm so anxious to continue the ride in Fire Study. A total two thumbs up, get this book and read it, you'll love it!

Labels: , , ,

---------------------------------------------

9 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

Why, why, why...does it have to be so long until Fire Study comes out!! I really enjoyed this one too and am looking forward to the next book in the series very much!

April 11, 2007 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

I'm so glad you loved it, babe! I knew you would. See, you never listen to me. haha

And I DID NOT LIE! Sheesh, this girl.

Anywho...

I can't remember who Rose is. Why didn't you love her? What did I miss? LOL

I WANT FIRE STUDY NOW DAMMIT!

April 11, 2007 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Marg,

I have no clue but man but I can't wait until Fire Study comes out, I hella enjoyed Magic Study and can't wait to read more Valek and Yelena, man but I love me some Valek!

April 11, 2007 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Roze...however you spell her name, I forget...but Roze is the first magician. The one with the criminal job, the one with the crap against Yelena.

She got on my hot damn nerves and I hope she ends up to be a bad guy and they get to destroy her. LOL.

Man, fire study is going to be good, I can't wait to see what Fire Study brings and what happens with Cahil and Ferbe.

OOOHHHHH I CAN'T WAIT!

April 11, 2007 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Oh, right! Ok, now I remember. For some reason I was thinking that was Yelena's horse. LOLOL

April 11, 2007 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger Isabel said...

I'll read it when it comes out in paperback. Great review!

April 11, 2007 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Mailyn said...

I love this series!!!

April 11, 2007 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger nath said...

the series is really awesome! I can't wait till Fire STudy comes out! It's really going to be interesting to see Roze and Yelena's interactions as Yelena is going to be Roze's disciple :P and I want more of Valek!!! and the reason why we have to wait so long, it's because of the publisher T_T at least, that's whom I blame :P

April 11, 2007 at 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, you sure are a Study-fan XD
I enjoyed reading your review and I agree completely witch you in the points Xp

I guess you already read firestudy, have you also started following icestudy? I'd like to read your opinion and comments ;)

June 21, 2011 at 1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All graphics made by Mailyn of ImaginaryOrigin.Blogspot.com unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy any of my designs.