Hero of the Month

Edward Cullen from SM's Twilight

Hero of the Week Archive
Hero of the Month Archive

Our Favorite Authors

Author Blogs That Rock

Our Personal Blogs

Random Books from our Library:

Rowena Is Reading:

Isabel is Reading:

Holly is Reading:

Grace is Reading:

Jazz is Reading:

Daphne is Reading:

Recent Posts

Haley's Cabin by Anne Rainey.
Deliver Me by Farrah Rochon
The Vampire Who Loved me by Teresa Medeiros
Author Interview with Anne Rainey
Shadow Dance by Julie Garwood.
Slow Burn by Julie Garwood.
Murder List by Julie Garwood
The Stranger In Her Bed by Janet Chapman.
Anyone But You by Jennifer Crusie
New Moon by Stephanie Meyer.

Old Stuff

January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2008

Links

Google
All About Romance

Wanna Buy A Good Book?

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Amazon
Half
E Bay

Email Us:
Got a question you want to ask us? Email us at:
sfinest@gmail.com

Credits:

Visitors

Who links to us?

Saturday, March 3, 2007

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

Welcome to colorful Trenton, New Jersey, and the wild and wonderful world of Stephanie Plum. In One for the Money, rookie "apprehension agent" Plum may be a bit wet behind the ears, but nobody's gonna take it easy on her; especially her first skip, an ex-cop and murder suspect named Morelli.

Holly Says

Stephanie Plum is a little down on her luck. The Trenton, New Jersey girl has lost her job as a lingerie buyer for a sleezy department store, her car has been repossessed, her overbearing Italian mother is trying to set her up with a balding, fat butcher and she's had to sell off all her furniture and appliances just to make ends meet.

As a last resort, she goes to her cousin Vinnie and blackmails him into giving her a job...as a bounty hunter. Steph doesn't know much about being a bounty hunter, but she's determined to get the $10,000 finders fee on the biggest skip-trace on the books. One vice cop, Joseph Morelli.

The thing is, Joe and Steph have a little history together, and Steph isn't sure if bringing him is just business as usual, or a personal vendetta. The first time she met Morelli she was 7 and he dragged her into his parents garage to play Choo-Choo, and didn't even let her hold the flashlight. Then, when she was 17, he nailed her behind the Eclair case at the donut shop she was working at, then wrote all the dirty details in the men's room at Mario's sub shop. Four years later, Steph saw him walking down the street and ran him over with her dad's Buick. So, yeah, bringing him down might be personal.

To make matters worse, Steph gets on the bad side of a psychotic deranged boxer name Benito Ramirez. But Steph is made of tough stuff and she isn't going to let a 250 lb psycho keep her from getting her man...

This is the first book in a (so far) 12 book series about bond agent Stephanie Plum. It's the perfect set up for the series and one of the funnies books I've ever read.

I love everything about it, from Steph's Mazda Miata getting repo'd by a sleezy guy she went to high school with, to her mother's constant harping. In the first three chapters alone, I was laughing so hard I was crying. Let's see:

Grandma Mazer, Steph's 80-year-old grandmother decides to start wearing biker shorts and accidentally shoots the ass out of the chicken their having for dinner with Steph's gun.

Steph goes to get a job with her cousin Vinnie and has to blackmail him into giving her the job by reminding him, "I know about Madam Zaretski and her whips and chains. I know about the boys. And I know about the duck."

Steph "commandeers" Morelli's car (read: steals) and when Morelli comes for it, he catches her the shower. She's stolen the distributor cap and he wants it back. When she refuses to give it up he handcuffs her to the curtain rod - naked - and leaves her there. Hey, he's not a complete asshole, he left her the phone.

Steph's antics are enough to have anyone in stitches. Pick up the first book (and the rest in the series) and give yourself over to the crazy world of Stephanie Plum. You won't be sorry.

5 out of 5 (It's not without it's flaws, but the laugh factor alone is enough to make me score this at the top of the chart)

Isabel Says

Ok, Holly gave you the plot. So I'll skip all that. This book was great. I loved Grandma Mazur. From shooting the chicken they were going to have for dinner with Stephanie's gun to her biker shorts, she was just hilarious!

Loved when she ran Joe Morelli over with her car. Well didn't run him over, just kind of clipped him. It was pay back for taking her virginity from behind the eclair case at the bakery she worked.

When Joe handcuffed her to shower rod naked and Ranger had to help Stephanie out.

When she blackmailed her cousin. Hilarious!

Benito Ramirez was just creepy! Ugh, i did not like that man. Just reading his scenes sent shivers up my spine. He's a raping, mutilating, boxer and he's set his sights on Stephanie. He's called her house, visited her at her apartment and left her a present. I was so hoping he'd get his. And in a way he did, but not like I had hoped. More like dying a slow painful death.

I'm looking forward to the next book.

Grade: A-

Labels: , , , ,

---------------------------------------------

11 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

The scene where grandma shoots the chicken is one that I just start laughing about if I think about it at all!

February 11, 2007 at 2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marg,

I read this book the first time about 2 years ago, and I STILL crack up everytime I think of Grandma Mazer!

February 11, 2007 at 3:22 PM  
Blogger nath said...

I think the beginning of the series was really awesome! And it's still one of my favorites, but the trouble is that at one point, everything stops developing/growing and you have again and again the same plot.

February 11, 2007 at 7:43 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

You read this forever ago, why are you reviewing it now? Have you just reread it?

Anyway, I loved this book. I don't know why I've only read the first three. I have your four, five and six, and I own the rest after that. I'll get to them.

Oh and I also love these books cause I grew up in the neighborhood she writes about. It's so cool cause I know all the streets and places she refers to.

February 11, 2007 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Dude, I remember when we first read these books...gosh I loved them and we were so obsessed with Morelli...it's funny how 12 books later, our love for Morelli has not wavered, I'm a cupcake through and through! haha.

February 14, 2007 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

The Stephanie Plum series is a riot for sure! Every book without fail, makes me laugh out loud and grin ridiculously. I agree Holly, it deserves a 5/5 for humor and Morelli alone. ;)

OH and yes, I'm on team CUPCAKE for sure!!

February 16, 2007 at 4:35 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

lol. I love the early books in this series. I haven't read 10 and up though yet. I started getting bored with them. :( And I'm totally with you on the Morelli thing Dylan.

March 3, 2007 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Marg said...

I am a total cupcake as well. If she doesn't want Joe I'd be happy to take him off of her hands!

I think there was definitely a few of the later books that weren't quite as good as some of the others, but 12 was actually pretty good. Looking forward to 13 in June!

March 3, 2007 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger reviewer said...

Oh man, I see these books everywhere. My library has a whole stack of them.
Now that I know they are good, I'm gonna read them.
Great reviews!

March 4, 2007 at 6:53 AM  
Blogger Stacy~ said...

This is one of the funniest series, and yeah, there's not a lot of character development as you see they pretty much do the same thing again and again, but that's why I enjoy it - a bit of mindless, hysterical fluff.

Yeah, I know Stephanie should end up with Joe, no question, but I like Ranger too, dammit. He's not forever material, but he obviously cares for our witless heroine in his own way. He should get his own HEA...

March 4, 2007 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger CindyS said...

I'm guessing I'll get booed off for suggesting a loving threesome? Ah, well, it was the best while it lasted. I think my favourites were 3, 4 and 5 - I'm thinking I'll get to re-reading these one of these days.

The part where Gram shot the chicken - I laughed so hard I scared the cats (luckily Bob wasn't home). After that Bob said he loved hearing me laughing in the middle of the night while reading these books. I swear I would have tears rolling down my cheeks from laughing so hard and we can all use that kind of reading ;)

CindyS

March 4, 2007 at 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All graphics made by Mailyn of ImaginaryOrigin.Blogspot.com unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy any of my designs.