Hero of the Month

Edward Cullen from SM's Twilight

Hero of the Week Archive
Hero of the Month Archive

Our Favorite Authors

Author Blogs That Rock

Our Personal Blogs

Random Books from our Library:

Rowena Is Reading:

Isabel is Reading:

Holly is Reading:

Grace is Reading:

Jazz is Reading:

Daphne is Reading:

Recent Posts

Another New Start
Come Join Us In Our New Adventure!
Nerd? Me?
Redux: Colleen Gleason is Guest Blogging
Guest Blogger: Rene Lyons ~ Contest: And The Winn...
Guest Blogger: Rene Lyons on Fate
Guest Blogger: Rene Lyons W/ Special Guest Andy Do...
Guest Blogger: Rene Lyons ~ CONTEST!!!!!!!
Guest Blogger: Rene Lyons w/ Special Guest Andy Do...
Guest Blogger: Rene Lyons

Old Stuff

January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2008

Links

Google
All About Romance

Wanna Buy A Good Book?

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Amazon
Half
E Bay

Email Us:
Got a question you want to ask us? Email us at:
sfinest@gmail.com

Credits:

Visitors

Who links to us?

Monday, April 30, 2007

After the Fire by Kathryn Shay


Detective Megan Hale comes to Hidden Cove, leaving behind painful memories of her policeman husband killed in the line of duty. But when she meets fireman Mitch Malvaso, Megan's heart is set ablaze-even if it knows the risks.

Near New York City, the Hidden Cove Fire Department responds to the dangerous Sinco fire. Three Malvaso siblings, who work at the same fire station, become trapped inside, but ultimately are rescued. Jenny insists that she, Mitch, the oldest, and Zach, the youngest, pledge to change their messed up personal lives as each one realizes how close to death they came.

Six months later, they're still on the job and have not yet made the changes they said they were going to.

Zach, who has been divorced from his wife for 2 years, vowed to win her back and prove that he's a reformed rake (apparently he cheated on her quite a bit while they were married) and try to be a better father, but not having much success with the former. Though he had made quite a bit of progress with the latter.

Jenny had vowed to have a child, via artificial insemination, so she finally works up the courage to ask her best friend since childhood, Grady O'Connor, if he'd be the donor. They've been friends since kindergarten and up to that point had no physical attraction between them. Jenny is afraid that she'll ruin their friendship with her request (they've both been scarred by previous relationships, though Grady seems more wounded than she), but Grady agrees. He suggests they do it the right way, though. At first, Jenny seems hesitant, not wanting to ruin their friendship, but eventually agrees.

Mitch had vowed to work things out with his shrew of a wife and become a better father to his two teenage children. Though he seemed to be making a genuine effort with his children, he hadn't been able to make any effort with his wife. When he meets Detective Megan Hale, and she proposes they start a camp for children of firefighters and police officers who were killed in the line of duty, he immediately agrees to help.

Megan is dealing with some losses of her own. Her husband had been killed in the line of duty several years before and her father had died in the line only a few months before she moved to Hidden Cove from the city.

Basically, the book was alright. I didn't like the fact that throughout the entire book Mitch was married while his feelings developed for the detective. The book is approximately 360 pages and until page 299 he was still sharing a bedroom with his wife. Though he didn't physically cheat on her, he definitely had an emotionaly affair with Megan. I couldn't seem to get past that.

Besides that, the story was kind of muddled, with too many POV's throughout the book. A lot of characters were introduced and there were several subplots with the Malvoso family (there are two other siblings not in the firefighter line of work), including issues with both Zach and Mitch's children. Apparently this is the first book of a trilogy, with Zach getting his story at a later date, so, in my opinion, a lot of the parts about him could have been shortened or cut out completely.

There was also a lot of technical information included, about the process of firefighting and the terminology they use. While I like to be informed, at times I felt like I was reading an instruction manual.

If my summary seems a bit muddle and confusing, it's because that's how I found the book to be. I have the other 2 on my shelf to be read, and I'm not sure I'll be able to read them.

Overall, I enjoyed the story of Jenny and Grady, but didn't really care for the book.

I give it a 1.25 out of 5.

Labels: , ,

---------------------------------------------

8 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

The others are definitely better! As I recall, there isn't any cheating in the other books either...

May 4, 2007 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Hmm, I've never got around to reading this one...maybe I should push this one up on my list. But cheating?

Meh.

May 15, 2007 at 10:47 AM  
Blogger ReneeW said...

This one was my first by KS and ended up a DNF for me so I give you points for finishing it. I didn't like all those storylines and just didn't keep my interest. I'm hesitant about trying anything else by KS.

May 18, 2007 at 8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori,
I still have the others on my shelf...but I don't know. I think part of my problem is just her writing style.

Ween,
Meh. You do what you want. lol

Reneew,
I'm hesitant as well. It's entirely possible the rest of her books are outstanding....but I'm not holding my breath.

May 21, 2007 at 7:36 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bergin said...

Thanks for the review of After the Fire. I really enjoy a book where I learn a little about something technical or about history. I'll check it out.

Barbara Bergin
author of "Endings"
http://www.BarbaraBerginInk.com

December 18, 2007 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger giovannificca said...

Designer Clothes
If you want to look good in public or in the presence of your peers, you can easily achieve this by wearing designer clothing. It's certainly a great way to make a great first impression on others -- and continue to make a great impression on them. As superficial as this may sound, appearance is everything. Wearing designer clothes can certainly help you improve your social status.

September 24, 2010 at 3:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

flower girl dresses store
flower girl dresses wholesaler

June 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger halline said...

all other components are selected to fit them. However, some prefer wholesale little black dresses to break the principles and perform it differently. Why outlet little black dresses shouldn’t they? following all, its their weddings, a as shortly as sell little white dresses

June 20, 2011 at 12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All graphics made by Mailyn of ImaginaryOrigin.Blogspot.com unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy any of my designs.