Hero of the Month

Edward Cullen from SM's Twilight

Hero of the Week Archive
Hero of the Month Archive

Our Favorite Authors

Author Blogs That Rock

Our Personal Blogs

Random Books from our Library:

Rowena Is Reading:

Isabel is Reading:

Holly is Reading:

Grace is Reading:

Jazz is Reading:

Daphne is Reading:

Recent Posts

Guest Blogger: Rene Lyons
We Have Guest Bloggers Today!
Ninth Key by Meg Cabot.
Shadowland by Meg Cabot.
Guest Blogger: Rene Lyons
Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder
What Have You Read?
PS. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern
Into the Storm by Suzanne Brockmann.
Don't Look Now, But They're Out To Get You

Old Stuff

January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2008

Links

Google
All About Romance

Wanna Buy A Good Book?

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Amazon
Half
E Bay

Email Us:
Got a question you want to ask us? Email us at:
sfinest@gmail.com

Credits:

Visitors

Who links to us?

Monday, April 16, 2007

Guest Blogger: Rene Lyons w/ Special Guest Andy Douglas


Rene Lyons:
When I was a kid I was afraid of everything. And I do mean everything. From the dark to latex Halloween masks – my fears knew no bounds. Forget horror movies. Even the cheesiest B-movie could keep me awake for weeks. But that all changed the day I happened to watch Dracula starring Frank Langella. I shared Lucy’s awe of him and ultimately, her pain when the sun took him from her. I walked away from that movie sharing her secret smile after seeing Dracula’s cape flutter across the sky – a hint that though he was gone - he wasn’t gone.

My love of vampires was born that day. I went from being the kid who was terrified to sleep with a foot dangling off the side of the bed (didn’t every bed have that damned razor-toothed demon living under it?) to sleeping with my window open and forgoing garlic (a nearly impossible feat in an Italian household). Basically, if Dracula chanced upon me, I was ready!

Yeah, I guess you can say I had it bad. Wait. Did I say had? I mean have. I have it bad. Some might even go so far as to say I have a (slight) obsession with vampires. I often get asked "what’s their appeal?". To that I answer – everything. People assume that because I write romance it’s the romantic aspect of them that appeals to me the most. They’re wrong. I’m not a very romantic person nor are my books heavy on the flowery romance. It’s the darkness of the vampire myth that I find most appealing. They’re creatures steeped in shadow, sin, and sexuality. And that captivates me. Their majesty and savagery fascinates me.

After Midnight Sun was published I met plenty of people who shared my love of vampires but none who shared my obsession - until I was introduced to Andy Douglas. His love of vampires matched my own and made him the perfect man to help bring Lucian of Penwick to life. I’m lucky to know him – even luckier to call him a friend. Now, with that said, allow me to turn this post over to my kindred spirit, Andy Douglas…

Andy Douglas:
I too was afraid of scary movies as a child. It probably didn't help that I watched the movie Poltergeist at age 5. I really didn't start enjoying scary movies until my late teens. However, there was always one scary character that I was never afraid of.......Dracula. I can always remember having a fondness for vampires and Dracula. My mom even made me dress up as something different for Halloween one year because she was getting tired of me being Dracula every year. I'm not sure what it is but the vampire world has always been a part of my life.

The aspect of the vampire world that I hate, is the "goth" side. Every time people find out that I'm in to vampires, they say "well you don't look like you would like that kind of stuff." And that's due to the fact that I don't wear all black, have a pale face, and paint my fingernails black. To me, goth and the vampire world are two separate things. What I do and what I enjoy is a belief and a lifestyle that revolves around vampirism and an idea of how vamps would interact within today’s society. It does not revolve around wearing black because my parents pissed me off. But hey, that's just me. Thank you.

What about you? What were you afraid of as a child? What creature of the night fascinates you now? Are there any clichés that drive you nuts now that you're older?

Labels: , , ,

---------------------------------------------

10 Comments:

Blogger Stella Price said...

To this day, I'm insanely scared of ventriloquist dummies, marionettes and clowns. Not to mention my probably unfounded fear of the gingerbread man and Elmo. But lets not get started on that.

Creatures of the night that fascinate me? Demons... (yuk yuk) but there are others. I have to say i don't like vamps much, but i do like your Templars... its a nice change.

S

April 16, 2007 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger Suzette said...

I dont recall what I was afraid of but I have a poor memory. Fascinated by all things paranormal which is why I'm stuck on that genre when it comes to reading.

April 16, 2007 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

I was a child who was afraid of everything. I developed sleeping rituals in case I had to flee from monsters in the night. I still sleep facing the door on the side of the bed that's closest to the door in whatever room I may be sleeping in. It wasn't until I went away to college that I gave up sleeping with a blanket around my neck to protect me from vampires (although by that point it was just comfy, I wasn't scared anymore). When I was in Kindergarten, a mime came to school and performed a scene where he was a vampire and sucked the blood out of his victim through a straw. I am not even joking. It scared the bejeebers out of me. My mom had to come pick me up from school.

By late elementary school , I was into spooky stories by John Bellairs, and the real turning point, vamp-wise, was The Lost Boys. I couldn't watch real horror until high school, though.

Nowadays, I'm quite partial to vampires. Shapeshifters, not so much. I'm kinda digging this new demon trend, although The Exorcist is one movie I still can't watch.

April 16, 2007 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

I was terrified of clowns. Terrified. I'm still not one much for scary movies, but like you guys I didn't have problems with vamps. Go figure.

April 16, 2007 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

I was terrified of the dark. It was terrible. But I didn't have any other fears. Well, until I watched Children of the Corn.

We lived in this old farmhouse in the middle of rural Ill. surrounded by corn fields. During the middle of a drought. To this day I can't hear the sound of rustling corn without having a mild panic attack.

Scary stuff.

April 16, 2007 at 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Those evil dolls, Stella. I know. lol

And yes, she really is afraid of Elmo.

Holly, bad on you for letting me in on the rustling corn fear. lol

April 16, 2007 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I was afraid of my stuffed toys when I was younger. I had a ritual of locking them in the closet every night. And I'm still afraid of the dark.

April 16, 2007 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

I'm a big time wimp! I'm scared of every damn thing.

But when I was little, I was very scared of clowns, like Rosie. I hated watching any kind of movies that had clowns in it and I detested going to parties that had clowns coming to do those live shows at. If I saw clowns on the decorations, I've been told by my sisters that I would kick up a fit and demand to be taken home, I just do not like clowns. To this day, I hate clowns. I'm no longer scared of them but I still hate those ugly things, even the ones on the Disney Channel.

Sorry Jojo.

It's funny though because I used to have dreams where Michael Knight would save me with Kit from all the evil clowns, LMAO!

April 16, 2007 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

I'm scared of dolls, clowns and snakes. I can't even look at a snake picture or on TV.

That's an interesting point Andy brought up about vampires vs. "goth" I'm going to admit that I never thought I'd like any kind of paranormal romance, especially those involving vampire themes. Now, I totally love them, even though I don't have a "goth" style. It's a good reminder that we shouldn't give in to stereotypes like that.

April 16, 2007 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Gypsy Raven said...

Masks, the harlequin ones, or any with the whole face showing. I'm always convinced that suddenly eyes will open up and look back at me.

Never liked clowns, and still don't, and the toes off the edge of the bed, heck no! I will still wake up if my leg goes off the bed when I'm asleep and then try to figure out what woke me, lol!

April 17, 2007 at 1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All graphics made by Mailyn of ImaginaryOrigin.Blogspot.com unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy any of my designs.