Hero of the Month

Edward Cullen from SM's Twilight

Hero of the Week Archive
Hero of the Month Archive

Our Favorite Authors

Author Blogs That Rock

Our Personal Blogs

Random Books from our Library:

Rowena Is Reading:

Isabel is Reading:

Holly is Reading:

Grace is Reading:

Jazz is Reading:

Daphne is Reading:

Recent Posts

Where has Jazz been???
I Just Can't Get Enough!!!
End of Year Giveaway: Winners!!!
Dark Side of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
Drop Dead Gorgeous by Linda Howard
Sanctuary's Finest's Favorite Reads of 2006.
Happy Holidays from SF! Want Free Books??
What's Your Favorite Setting For a Romance ?
Where Dreams Begin by Lisa Kleypas
Loving Julia by Karen Robards

Old Stuff

January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2008

Links

Google
All About Romance

Wanna Buy A Good Book?

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Amazon
Half
E Bay

Email Us:
Got a question you want to ask us? Email us at:
sfinest@gmail.com

Credits:

Visitors

Who links to us?

Friday, January 5, 2007

Just Some Random Things.....


....that have been irritating me lately.

I love reading. I love romance novels. So do the other girls here at SF. That's why we started this blog, because we wanted to share with you our favorite books.

That's all this is. A place to share our love of Romance novels, our opinions of them. And that's all they are. Opinions. Everyone has one. An opinion, I mean. Some people will agree with ours, and others won't. Personally, I don't care one way or the other if you agree with mine or not.

I know what I like. And I won't apologize for it. Nor will I apologize for NOT liking something. There are BILLIONS of people in the world who read. If you don't like my review, go find another. Don't read my bad review - or my good one, for that matter - then whine about it. Either read it and accept it, or read it and move on.

Something else for you to think about. Someday, I'd like to write a book. I'd like to become one of the millions who are contracted by a publishing house and see their own words in print. Sadly, however, I don't have the talent/drive/whatever for it. I realize this. I will never be an author. Why? Because I.Can't.Write. If I can recognize this about myself, why can't other people? Just because you put words on paper doesn't mean they came together to form a good story. Just because you, or an editor, think the story is good, doesn't mean I will. Just so you know.

I'm a critical reader. I figure that's my right, considering it was my money I spent to buy your book. I expect to be entertained, or engaged, or at the very least, amused. If I'm not, I won't buy another of your books. It's that simple.

But here's a tip for you authors out there. I DID buy the book. And just because I didn't like it doesn't mean someone else won't either. There's a saying in showbiz, "Even Bad Press is Good Press". Why? Because it gets your name out there. So next time you want to whine and cry because I said I didn't like your book, remember: I paid for it. And because I did, you'll have money in your pocket. And though I didn't like it, I put your name here, on my blog, where anyone could see it. And other people saw it. And those other people might decide to buy it, just to see if they agree with me, or it's as bad as I say. And who knows, that person might like it. So then they'll review it on their own blog, positively. And then someone else will buy it. Do you see the trend here? I'm helping you, even though I didn't like your book. Why don't you try to be grateful? Even better, why don't you read my review, and see why I didn't like it. Then maybe think for a minute about if I have a valid point. Constructive criticism can be good, you know.

But even more importantly? I'm not going to go away. And neither are the hundreds of other review blogs out there. And if one of us does close down, well, five more will crop up in their place. Just something for you to think about.

Labels: ,

---------------------------------------------

12 Comments:

Blogger Nonny Blackthorne said...

Speaking as a published author myself, the "review whinery" pisses me the fuck off. I mean, I've seen authors who got absolutely glowing reviews freak out over two lines of minor criticism. WTF?

As for the truly negative reviews... okay, whatever. It's one person's opinion. If the vast majority of reviews respond negatively about the same damn thing, then you might wanna think about what they're saying.

I truly don't get the writers who think that readers shouldn't post their opinion if it's negative. Um. As a reader, if a book pisses me off, I'll rant about it, thank you very much.

*shakes head*

January 5, 2007 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

You are so right Nonny! Thanks for coming and giving us your opinion! And if anyone notices we don't trash books or authors here. If we dont' like a book we simply say it and state why. End of story. And usually there are parts we did like and we say what they were too.

We aren't getting paid for this blog. It's here just for us to personally share with everyone every book we read and what we think of it. Simply put. If others read it then great.

January 5, 2007 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Thank you SO much for stopping by and sharing with us, Nonny.

I guess lately I've just been so fed up with authors lumping all of us "bloggers" together. Yes, there are some malicious blogs out there, but the MAJORITY of us are just here to share what we think. The good AND the bad.

Jazz,
Very well said, sweets!

January 5, 2007 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Holly,

Sweets, you speak for all of us here at SF when you wrote this piece. I think it was well written and gets your point across quite nicely sweets so good job...and I totally agree.

I don't understand why us readers are forever getting blasted for having an opinion. It's the dumbest thing ever. Everyone is going to have an opinion whether the author wants it or not. If you like what we say about your book in our reviews then great but if you don't, that's fine too but that's not going to stop us from being HONEST about the books we read.

If I like the book, you'll get a sunshiny post. If not, then you'll get a rainy day one...LOL.

January 5, 2007 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Mailyn said...

Amen, amen, A-fucking-MEN!

I agree with everything ya'll said.

January 5, 2007 at 5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, girls. Honestly, if I were to write a book, I'd want to know everyone's opinion whether it be bad or good. You need to know what you can work on, or maybe the person just isn't fit to read your books if that's what they think(negatively). And I really really really want to be an author someday and I won't be freaking out over the little things. You just MOVE ON.... or start over new on your next book.

January 6, 2007 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Another thing to point out is that we here at SF don't always agree with each other. We sometimes debate certain things in books, why one person liked something and the other didn't. Do we take it personally? No.

Daph

January 6, 2007 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I was thinking the same thing Daph. lol. Take all of our differant takes on Lover Awakened. ha ha.

January 6, 2007 at 3:48 PM  
Blogger Dev said...

Well said, Holly. I've disliked books that my friends have loved (the Gabladon series, for example ~ couldn't get into them) ~ but we agree to disagree and move one. We also have a lot of books that we've all loved. With all the people in the world, is it expected that we all share the same views? Wouldn't that be ~ oh, I don't know ~ BORING? Gosh, I read a bad review and I may or may not still read the book. A lot of times, I research the book and decide on my own merits whether or not I want to read it or not ~ reviews really do nothing for me. They're opinions. Good, bad, indifferent ~ whatever. It's not going to stop me from reading something I truly want to read.

I think the entitlement crap needs to go out the window. An author's published ~ that's wonderful ~ great, fantastic, whatever. But, just because an author's published does not mean I have to like the book. I hope I do ~ I really hope I do, becase nothing pisses me off more than spending money on a book I'm excited to read and then find myself sorely disappointed and throwing the book against the wall. I don't have a lot of reading time, so I'm not going to force myself to read a book I don't like.

Oh ~ and I'm a big fan of treating people with respect. You disrespect me or my friends, then I probably won't read your book on principle. We're all human and we all put our pants on one leg at a time. If you think that because your name is in print it gives you the right to expect that I should think you're wonderful, you're sorely mistaken.

As far as negative reviews, put your big girl panties on and deal with it, or stay away from the blogs if it offends you so much.

Rant over.

January 7, 2007 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

LMAO!! Perfectly put, Devonna :)

January 7, 2007 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger reviewer said...

Oh boo her.
I totally agree Holly (and everyone else)

From what I can tell, Chicky isn't even an author. Or is she and I have never heard of her?

I hate that she wont name names. Hell, if you are gonna blast someone at least have the guts to tell them to thier face. (So to speak)

January 7, 2007 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Well said, Dev! I'm so with you!

Chantal,
I think she should name names, too. But that takes courage, doesn't it, and after reading her post I'm not sure she has any....

;)

January 10, 2007 at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All graphics made by Mailyn of ImaginaryOrigin.Blogspot.com unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy any of my designs.