Hero of the Month

Edward Cullen from SM's Twilight

Hero of the Week Archive
Hero of the Month Archive

Our Favorite Authors

Author Blogs That Rock

Our Personal Blogs

Random Books from our Library:

Rowena Is Reading:

Isabel is Reading:

Holly is Reading:

Grace is Reading:

Jazz is Reading:

Daphne is Reading:

Recent Posts

Haley's Cabin by Anne Rainey
Holly Says: Lover Revealed by JR Ward
Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
Haley's Cabin by Anne Rainey.
Deliver Me by Farrah Rochon
The Vampire Who Loved me by Teresa Medeiros
Author Interview with Anne Rainey
Shadow Dance by Julie Garwood.
Slow Burn by Julie Garwood.

Old Stuff

January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2008

Links

Google
All About Romance

Wanna Buy A Good Book?

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Amazon
Half
E Bay

Email Us:
Got a question you want to ask us? Email us at:
sfinest@gmail.com

Credits:

Visitors

Who links to us?

Friday, March 9, 2007

Breaking Point by Suzanne Brockmann


Hero: Max Beghat
Gina: Gina Vitagliano
Category: Contemporary
Grade: B+

As commander of the nation's most elite FBI counterterrorism unit, agent Max Bhagat leads by hard-driving example: pushing himself to the limit and beyond, taking no excuses, and putting absolutely nothing ahead of his work. That includes his deep feelings for Gina Vitagliano, the woman who won his admiration and his heart with her courage under fire. But when the shocking news reaches him that Gina has been killed in a terrorist bombing, nothing can keep Max from making a full investigation - and retribution - his top priority.

At the scene of the attack, however, Max gets an even bigger shock. Gina is still very much alive - but facing a fate even worse than death. Along with Molly Anderson, a fellow overseas relief worker, Gina has fallen into the hands of a killer who is bent on using both women to bait a deadly trap. His quarry? Grady Morant, a.k.a "Jones," a notorious ex-Special Forces operative turned smuggler who made some very deadly enemies in the jungles of Southeast Asia . . . and has been running ever since. But with Molly's life on the line, Jones is willing to forfeit his own to save the woman he loves.

Together with Max's top agent Jules Cassidy as their only backup, the unlikely allies plunge into a global hot zone of violence and corruption to make a deal with the devil. Not even Jones knows which ghosts from his past want him dead. But there's one thing he's sure of - there's very little his bloodthirsty enemies aren't willing to do.


Okay, it took me over four months to finish this book and boy was I glad that I did. So Max and Gina we know from Over the Edge are back and they're getting their own book. Max is still being a butt head about not wanting to keep Gina in his life because even though he loves her with every breath in his body, he's afraid of loving her and well it doesn't make things any better with her being like 20 years younger than he is.

But love her, he does.

In the first half of the book, it drove me up the wall how many times Max tried to drive Gina away. There were times when I wanted to do bodily damage to him at how dumb he was being, but that was when I thought his issues were the age thing between him and Gina.

Well, and then there was the thing with Grady Morant, Dave Jones to those of you guys who have read Out of Control, Molly and Jones were a big part of this book since Molly is Gina's new best friend, they served in a camp out in Kenya together and became very close. Gina laid her life on the line for both Molly and Jones and I just loved their little family.

Max Beghat, the fucker. My friend LindaLou, loves when Sam Starrett says that about Max in I believe it's Out of Control. And I totally agreed with Sam's sentiment toward the FBI Hot Shot in this book. He got on my damn nerves in the beginning of the book, while he was in rehab?? Yeah, I wanted to stab him in the neck. When he didn't share some pertinent information with Gina, forcing her to run away from him??? Yeah, I wanted to gouge his eyes out with a butter knife. But when he finally comes clean about how he really feels for Gina and everything he went through while she was away from him, all of my madness at him faded into the wind because just like *snaps fingers* I was done being mad at him for all of his transgressions in this book. Max proved to be a great hero, one that by the end of the book, I was more than a little bit in lust with. He will never replace Sam Starrett in my heart (especially after the short story in the back of the book) but he's one of the best heroes this series has.

Gina Vitagliano. What a great heroine, I love her sassy mouth, I love how in the most dire of circumstances, she was still able to keep her wit and her smarts about her. For someone who kept getting into hostile terrorist situations, Gina was seriously one of the strongest heroines, EVER. She's also my favorite heroine too...in this series, I haven't been a big fan of any of the heroines because none of them have Gina's personality or her vibrance for life and her determination to land her man. Gina was everything the other women weren't and she seriously was the best heroine, for me at least. She was as Ignacio said in Nacho Libre, good, realllllyyyyyy good. HA!

The story started out a bit slow for me but as soon as it started picking up, it picked up and just kept right on runnin'...I loved it. The storyline was great, the characters were the best and though it would have been nice to see some Sam and Alyssa up in there or even any of the other Troubleshooters, it was still a great read for me.

I loved the secondary storylines with Molly and Jones and then Jules as well. How can you NOT love Jules? I don't know how SB does it but when she writes about Jules and all of his sexy mens, it doesn't bother me. The man love concept doesn't really bother me. I'm so busy cheering Jules on that I guess his sexual orientation doesn't register for me the way it does in other books by other authors. But I just love Jules personality, I love what he brings to these stories and I love him as a man and want him to get his very own book. I want him to find happiness the way all of his friends are finding happiness. He totally deserves it.

Molly and Jones, oh holy wow...I loved how their story ended, it was just the right amount of everything that's right in this world. I loved how SB was able to write their story AND give them their happy ending. I loved Dave Jones shady ass from the moment I met him in Out of Control and I loved him all the more in this book. I loved his fierce devotion and adoration of Molly, I loved how he worried over her and how he was so hot damn sorry for bringing her into his dangerous life even though he didn't want to harm her, I loved how he was so damn sorry that he took a gamble and lost. I just loved him! Their story was a great addition to this already great book.

What I loved most about SB's writing in this book is something that Nikki said in a comment left for me on my personal blog, Coffee House Banter.

She said, "No other author has this way of planning books so far in advance that really works. There is a reason and a purpose for everything. No other series seems that way to me. She really controls circumstances and characters in her books not the other way around. She never gets herself in a corner that she has to come up with a quick explanation (that doesn't make sense)."

I loved how I was able to read something in this book and think, "OMGOSH I remember that" from 4 books ago. It was amazing how well thought out this book was. Things that happened in Out of Control were poppin' up again in this book and everything that didn't fit then, now fit perfectly and totally meshed. I loved that aspect of the book and applaud Suzanne Brockmann on a job well done.

Entertained? Yep, I sure was. Annoyed and Peeved? Yep, you got it, at Max, I sure was. Filled with joy and gooey goods? Oh yes, she totally delivered on this.

Now seriously? You can't ask for a better book, then. The only reason I gave it a B and not an A is because it took me so long to get through this book, but after careful thought, it wasn't the story that made me take so long, it was my frustration at Max...so brava, Suz...great effing job! =)

Labels: , , ,

---------------------------------------------

9 Comments:

Blogger Devon said...

I really love Max and Gina. I just read this one recently myself. Gina is definitely my favorite SB female. She is the good kind of strong, not overly sassy, hard, harsh or shrill.

March 10, 2007 at 7:27 AM  
Blogger Stacy~ said...

Fab review, and I totally agree with so much of what you said. I am a total Brockmann fangirl - she does no wrong in my book. Though she makes me mad at the characters (like good, old Max here) she always ends up redeeming herself and making me love them, sometimes against my will. Heck, I even liked Mary Lou by the end of Gone Too Far, and that's just plain crazy talk.

March 10, 2007 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Kookie said...

Holy cow, sweets! Amazing review!

You just about made me drool at the thought of reading this book...and you did it by not spilling any spoilers. I loved Grady Morant in OOC, too--consider that I'm not a big fan of the older-woman scenario but I love his and Molly's story.

I know, Max could be an ass if he wanted to. I mean, he did that in GTF, too. But, daym, I wanna read his story, like, yesterday. So I'm definitely gonna get this book the first time I spy it in the bookstores.

And yeah, I miss Jules already.

March 11, 2007 at 6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved it! Loved it! Gosh... probably read this one back in like Sept or November. It was a while ago.
Now I am waiting on a paperback for her new one. That's why I haven't read the newest one yet. NO HARDCOVERS in this collection. Lol.

Miss you girls!

March 11, 2007 at 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Scratch [Sept or Nov]. Lol. I read this one in April of '06, so my Amazon review says. Lol.

March 11, 2007 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I had to read this book twice before I really enjoyed it, so I completely understand your frustration.

I heart Max-big time. But then again, you know my history with older men. LOL

March 11, 2007 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Yup - you definitely can't go wrong with a Suz Brockmann book. I looooove her books!!! Cabbot wait for the next one! Great review, Dylan!

March 11, 2007 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger Mollie said...

I can't wait to get to Max and Gina's story! I'm only up to Hot Target. I LOVE SB. HAd the opportunity to meet her last summer, she was an excellent speaker and spent more than 2 hours signing books and speaking to everyone. She's a fantastic author and I LOVE this series!

March 12, 2007 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I love this series as well. I wish they would come out faster.

March 12, 2007 at 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All graphics made by Mailyn of ImaginaryOrigin.Blogspot.com unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy any of my designs.