Hero of the Month

Edward Cullen from SM's Twilight

Hero of the Week Archive
Hero of the Month Archive

Our Favorite Authors

Author Blogs That Rock

Our Personal Blogs

Random Books from our Library:

Rowena Is Reading:

Isabel is Reading:

Holly is Reading:

Grace is Reading:

Jazz is Reading:

Daphne is Reading:

Recent Posts

Romance Vs. Real Life
To Tame a Highland Warrior by Karen Marie Moning
Hero of the Week: Jamie Fraser
Crusie & Evanovich News
Baby Don't Go by Susan Andersen
Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning
Some Kinley News...
Crazy Hot by Tara Janzen
Whirlwind Affair by Jacquie D'Alessandro
Undressed by Vicki Lewis Thompson, Suzanne Forster...

Old Stuff

January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2008

Links

Google
All About Romance

Wanna Buy A Good Book?

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Amazon
Half
E Bay

Email Us:
Got a question you want to ask us? Email us at:
sfinest@gmail.com

Credits:

Visitors

Who links to us?

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Name Dropping by Jane Heller

Two women with the same name living in the same Manhattan apartment building? It could happen -- and does -- in Jane Heller's seventh novel, a breezy summer read as clever as it is comic!

Preschool teacher Nancy Stern is in a personal and professional rut. But what really puts a dent in her self-esteem is the realization that another woman named Nancy Stern has just moved into her building ... a Nancy Stern who lives in the penthouse ... a Nancy Stern who interviews celebrities for glossy magazines ... a Nancy Stern who's chummy with Harrison Ford. Nancy's loss of her own specialness deepens as she keeps getting the other, more glamorous Nancy's mail, phone calls and party invitations by mistake. It's all too much to bear -- until a man calls one night, intending to ask the other Nancy out on a blind date. In a moment of madness, Nursery School Nancy accepts, and what follows is a raucous tale of mix-ups, murder and mistaken identity. Leave it to the wickedly witty Jane Heller to come up with a story of a woman whose humdrum life turns out to be anything but.

I thought the concept of mistaken identity in this book would have been a great plot to pursue, one that would have provided readers with many laugh out loud moments, amused smiles and just a plain good ol' time. Apparently not. Granted, the book did have its moments, but nothing to the standard I thought it could have had.

I wasn't captured by the heroine, Nancy, nor her side kick friend Janice, who encouraged Nancy to take the leap of faith and go on the blind date with Bill Harris, full knowing that the invitation was meant for the other Nancy.

The hero, Bill Harris was handsome, charming and much like the man many women would like to find their HEA with. Although, at the beginning I found his character a little too strong for my liking, perhaps a little too keen. Which, I think is rather strange of me, since I live for heroes to woo their heroines. In this instance, when Bill was dating Nancy, (as the Other Nancy) in the beginning, I wasn't swept away by his keen attraction for her. I thought it was cute that he was slightly insecure in his pursuit of her and very honest, but I felt no *spark* for the hero.

But, I do have to say that towards the middle, the book did pick up for me. I enjoyed seeing the plot unravel, the mystery of the murder, Bill's protective nature towards Nancy, the pursuit of the bad guys and finally finding out why something about Bill Harris didn't quite add up. And I have to say, that I'm probably superficial because once I found out that my hunch about Bill was correct, my interest in him did increase a notch.

Overall, I thought this one was okay. Not bad, but not over the moon great. Some places I thought the book fell flat but other areas were able to pick it up a little, but not enough to warrant a spot on my keeper shelf.

2.75/5

Labels: , ,

---------------------------------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All graphics made by Mailyn of ImaginaryOrigin.Blogspot.com unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy any of my designs.