Hero of the Month

Edward Cullen from SM's Twilight

Hero of the Week Archive
Hero of the Month Archive

Our Favorite Authors

Author Blogs That Rock

Our Personal Blogs

Random Books from our Library:

Rowena Is Reading:

Isabel is Reading:

Holly is Reading:

Grace is Reading:

Jazz is Reading:

Daphne is Reading:

Recent Posts

Tagged: Some Romance Related Questions
Compromising Positions by Dara Edmondson
Every Boys Got One by Meg Cabot.
Size 14 Is Not Fat Either by Meg Cabot
Don't Look Down by Suzanne Enoch
My Fair Temptress by Christina Dood
Dream Man by Kelley Vitollo
Heiress for Hire by Erin McCarthy
Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot.
A Letter To Romance Authors

Old Stuff

January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2008

Links

Google
All About Romance

Wanna Buy A Good Book?

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Amazon
Half
E Bay

Email Us:
Got a question you want to ask us? Email us at:
sfinest@gmail.com

Credits:

Visitors

Who links to us?

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner.


Hero: ??
Heroine: Candace "Cannie" Shapiro
Category: Chick Lit
Page Count: 300+
Grade: C+

At first my eyes wouldn't make sense of the letters. Finally, they unscrambled. Loving a Larger Woman, said the headline, by Bruce Guberman. Bruce Guberman had been my boyfriend for just over three years, until we'd decided to take a break three months ago. And the larger woman, I could only assume, was me.

Cannie Shapiro never wanted to be famous. The smart, sharp, plus-sized pop culture reporter was perfectly content writing about other people's lives on the pages of the Philadelphia Examiner. But the day she opens up a national women's magazine to find out that her ex-boyfriend has been chronicling their ex-sex life is the day her life changes forever.

Loving a larger woman is an act of courage in our world, Bruce has written. And Cannie — who never knew that Bruce saw her as a "larger woman," or thought that loving her was an act of courage — is plunged into misery, and into the most amazing year of her life.

Radiant with wit, bursting with surprises, and written with bite and bittersweet humor, Jennifer Weiner's deliciously readable debut novel reaches beyond Cannie's story and into the heart of every woman. Gut-level real and laugh-out-loud funny, Good in Bed celebrates the courage of the human spirit, and features an unbelievably funny cast of supporting characters, the strangest dog you'll ever encounter, and a heroine you'll never forget.


This story was told through the eyes of Candace "Cannie" Shapiro, who is a larger woman. She decides that she wants a break from her boyfriend of 3 years, Bruce and then 3 months later, she reads a long with everyone else in the nation, his true feelings for her....in an article about loving a larger woman in one of the nation's leading magazines, sister to the likes of Cosmo, Vogue and you know, those kinds of magazines.

This entire book was Cannie's journey to self discovery and to self love, I guess you can say. We read how Cannie handles herself after the break up and it's many stages, we see Cannie come to grips with the disappearance of her father, we see her grow up basically. And let me tell you, for a few parts of the book, it was slow going for me but I just kept right on truckin' through the book because I was too busy trying to figure out who she ended up with at the end of the book, wondering if Bruce was ever going to get his and I just wanted to know how Cannie turned out.

She turns out great, which can be expected in these books, everything worked out for the best for Cannie, her life turns for the better by the end of the book but everything was dealt with, she dealt with everything that came her way and sometimes I wanted to clobber her over the head with a bat to get her to shut up, other times I cried with her because I felt her pain. Jennifer Weiner did a great job of getting the emotions to leap right off the pages in this book, overall I enjoyed this book and know that those of you guys that decide to read this, will like it.

I did.

But Nicole, you might not like this book since she's a fat chick and she does find love.

Labels: , , ,

---------------------------------------------

22 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

You are all making me out to be a horrible mean person. I so am not! I just don't like to read about big women in sexual situations *shutter*, sorry! lol.

January 30, 2007 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG Dylan....I was totally thinking the same thing about Nicole!! ahahahaaha! You've got yourself a reputation now, Jazz!

I did ask myself though, "What's with all the fat chicks?" Is this the new trend? Everyone writes about the pleasantly plump girls with pretty faces and great personalities now? That'll get old pretty stinkin' quick, though it is a nice change from all the "hotties" hanging out on my bookshelves.

January 30, 2007 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

What? You don't like to read about big women in sexual situations and well, Cannie's a big girl and she has sexual situations in here, she talks about it and so does her ex boyfriend in his magazine articles so I know you won't want to read this..I was only warning you.

LOL.

January 30, 2007 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

And see...I'm not the only one who thought about you when reading this review (and me while reading the book)...

I'll admit the only reason I started reading this story was because it started out really good, I was shocked at the first chapter...but yeah, it was cool. I enjoyed it. And this book was written a few years ago, I believe so I don't know if it's a trend or not, maybe everyone is tired of all the skinny model like women getting the hot guys in our books, who knows. LOL.

January 30, 2007 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger Chantal said...

Before I got to the bottom of the review I was going to ask if 'larger' meant fat.
I refuse the read those Meg Cabot stories because of the fat factor.

Rounded tummies, and plump thighs are a turn off when I am reading.

January 30, 2007 at 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope all you who have this anti-fat thing won't have kids who are overweight. Will you stop loving them if they are? How shallow.

And Jazz - it's shudder. Shutters are things you close over windows.

January 31, 2007 at 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sick of you guys berating books for large heroines. Welcome to reality. Maybe you should start reading more fantasies.

January 31, 2007 at 2:37 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Chantal,

What books by Meg Cabot? I thought the Heather Wells books were very good, I'm hooked and I kinda like that she's not a size 2 anymore, it makes her more human to me, because we read about the same kind of issues I have and so I really enjoyed it...and she still gets jocked by guys so it's not a turn off, I don't think.

Come on..try them! ;) But you might not like the whole first person factor of the books, they're told in first person from Heather's POV and that might annoy some people, but it didn't me.

January 31, 2007 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Anon #1,

Would I stop loving my kids if they're overweight? Of course not, why would I? The people who have that anti fat thing don't have anything against fat people, they just would prefer not to read about it. I know this about my friend, Nicole..so I wanted to warn her because it's just not her thing.

Everyone has different tastes in books, not everyone is going to like the same thing and I'm okay with that. Everyone should be too.

I think that what they're saying isn't that they don't have anything against fat people, they would just prefer not to read about it. I'm the same way with the whole gay thing, I'm totally fine with it but I'd rather not read about that kind of stuff in my books, that's all...no disrespect intended.

I'm sorry if you were, it wasn't my intent at all but then again, I said in my review that I DID like the book and I liked Cannie, her weight wasn't an issue for me at all...

January 31, 2007 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Anon #2,

I was not berating anyone or any books with larger heroines in them, again I said I liked the book and I liked Cannie, even though there were times I wanted to slug her a good one for being dumb, not for being fat...I get the same way with the skinny heroines, weight doesn't factor into those things for me.

January 31, 2007 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Woah-tensions are running high! LOL I love when the big girls get love in books. That's reality.

Ro-I hated in this book that there were no repercusions for the girlfriend and pushing Cannie in the bathroom. Like hello, don't FIGHT a pregnant woman, moron. Cannie should have pressed charges or something.

January 31, 2007 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Why every time I say something and someone doesn't like it they tell me but as Anon??? Uggg.

Okay first THANK you for correcting my spelling! See we could be friends cause that's what all my friends do for me, all the time. lol. Right Holly!

And second I would never hate my child no matter what they looked like. But I will tell you that my kids eat healthy and are active.

I do think it is a form of abuse when parents let their kids become obese, it is unhealthy.

And your right! I do read fantasy. ALL books to me are fantasy, they are fiction, my escape from reality....why would I want to read about something unappealing?

I actually loved the book He Loves Lucy. She was an overweight woman but she was trying to better herself. Not saying I'm fat and so what I'll get me some.

I personally have had two kids and am a bit overweight and I wouldn't want to read a story featuring me (Yuck!). And know what? I go to the gym, I am trying to get back in shape and eat healthier foods. So it's all about what YOU want in life.

If there are people that are overweight and fine with it fine, that's their choice. But it's not mine and I choose not to read about it either.

February 1, 2007 at 6:07 AM  
Blogger Rowena said...

You know Ames, I felt the exact same way and I thought about posting it in my review but forgot about it.

THAT PISSED ME OFF that Bruce the jerk got to go on with his life and find someone and be HAPPY eons before Cannie did and I HATE THAT Cannie didn't get to stick it to the stupid stick teacher...I really hated that nothing was done to her. I was so pissed for Cannie and another thing I hated was Cannie's best friend, how she was always belittling everything that Cannie complained about and how she was just so not supportive of Cannie and her feelings for Bruce.

I don't know, she just bothered me a lot when Cannie needed to talk about (however many times she wanted to talk about it) I thought it should have been okay...but not according to her best friend.

Ugh.

February 1, 2007 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Oh I get that. I don't know how Dylan ment it but for me I think everyone deserves love I just don't want to read about big women in fiction because I have a vivid imagination. And romance novels normally have sex in them and I don't want to read/envision that. It's just an eww thing for me. Personally.

February 1, 2007 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 1, 2007 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

With all this talk about the book I think I may just suck it up and read it anyway! lol.

February 1, 2007 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Zeek here's the thing. I'm not a doctor or anything but I don't see how it is impossible to control your (not YOU but anyone) weight. I am by no means thin, I have wayyyy to much chubbs left on me from having the kiddies. lol. BUT I know I can correct it with A LOT of hard work and better eating habits. And I do know it is harder for some. Genetics can play a roll in how hard it is to do what you have to but I really don't think it is imossible. But hey I'm human I could very much be wrong!

February 1, 2007 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 1, 2007 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Alright, I see where you guys could be misinterpreting the whole fat thing.

Nicole has issues with reading about large women having sex, she prefers not to read about it...when I wrote, Nicole, you might not like this book since she's a fat chick and she does find love., I was just warning her away from it...because I know what she prefers, this not being one of them. But I didn't mean to imply that I don't think large women shouldn't find love, I meant she does have sex in this book and it does describe her as being big, flabby and going to fat camp...so that's what I meant about it all. So again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone with that last sentence, I didn't mean to at all...

Just wanted to clarify that. Thanks Zeek for showing me where we went wrong, I was totally oblivious to all of that. So, thanks sweetie.

February 1, 2007 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger reviewer said...

I'm so sick of you guys berating books for large heroines. Welcome to reality. Maybe you should start reading more fantasies.

Huh? I *am* a skinny girl. Thin is my reality.
Thats as much as I am saying in reply to an anon. It's not worth my time to argue with someone who hides behind anon.
Either you are just trying to stir the pot, or you don't really believe what you are saying.

Hi Dylan, sorry to confuse you. I was just talking about the 'size whatever is not fat' books.
The titles turn me right off.
I know, I know. Big book snob, I am.
I actually enjoy first person :)

With all this talk about the book I think I may just suck it up and read it anyway! lol. I was thinking the same thing, lol.

I don't get the big deal, really. I don't enjoy bald, short or young heroes. And I don't enjoy heroines who are tall, have short hair or are plump.

Except for the anon, I have enjoyed all these replies.

February 1, 2007 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Rowena said...

It's all good Zeek, love you sweets!

And Chantal,

There's nothing wrong with you preferring to read books about the kind of people you like to read about, don't feel bad for it, do what you want. I promise you, it's okay.

...and I was a little miffed that the people stirring the pot were Anons but meh, I'm not going to waste energy getting bent out of shape for faceless/nameless people.

As for reading MC's book, you don't have to read them but there are other books that she writes that I have enjoyed that dont' harp on how much the heroine weighs..so yeah, if not the Heather Wells books than you should try some of her other stuff, they're light and fluffy, sometimes I just want some fluff!

February 1, 2007 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, this little "argument" between those who shall remain nameless (ie Anon) was just brought to my attention. I'm pretty much glad I stayed out of this one because I'm even more of an ass than Nicole. BUT that being said, and sorry if I'm repeating anyone but there were alot of valid points brought up "up there" and I can't remember everyones words of wisdom BUT (excuse me for a second while I heave myself onto my soapbox) Like Dylan said, its all a matter of personal preference....saying you don't wanna read about the Lovin' Spoonfull gettin it on nasty style is no different than me saying I wouldn't want to picture midgets doing it. Doesn't mean I don't like them or am reasonably grossed out by them in "real" life.

If the book didn't have sex scenes in which my overactive (read: kinda pervy) imagination wasn't kicked into full on grossed out mode, I'd be all for it. BUT I read these books for the same reason as I read Cosmo. Sex is hott. I seriously doubt anyone would want the skinny (no pun intended) on my flabby self's sex life so why should I want to read about hers? Her life? Sure. Her sex? No thanks dude.

I've got more to say but my Little Dude needs help getting out of the tub.

PS: Anonymous....if you won't show your face, don't bother trying to be a badass spelling bee champ and correcting Jazz. Did you ever stop to think about her feelings as a "bad" speller? Not anymore than Nicole did about hurting big girls' feelings. So. You're even.

PPS: I'd like to remind everyone that fighting on the internet is like participating in the special olympics. No matter who wins, you're still retarded.

February 2, 2007 at 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All graphics made by Mailyn of ImaginaryOrigin.Blogspot.com unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy any of my designs.