Hero of the Month

Edward Cullen from SM's Twilight

Hero of the Week Archive
Hero of the Month Archive

Our Favorite Authors

Author Blogs That Rock

Our Personal Blogs

Random Books from our Library:

Rowena Is Reading:

Isabel is Reading:

Holly is Reading:

Grace is Reading:

Jazz is Reading:

Daphne is Reading:

Recent Posts

New Release Tuesday!
What's in a plot?
Sword of Darkness by Kinley MacGregor
Hero Spotlight of the Week: Wrath.
Touch Me by Lucy Monroe
Book Burning.
She's Got the Look by Leslie Kelley
She, Myself and I by Whitney Gaskell
Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward
The Real Deal by Lucy Monroe

Old Stuff

January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2008

Links

Google
All About Romance

Wanna Buy A Good Book?

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Amazon
Half
E Bay

Email Us:
Got a question you want to ask us? Email us at:
sfinest@gmail.com

Credits:

Visitors

Who links to us?

Wednesday, May 3, 2006

The Marriage Bed by Laura Lee Guhrke

Summary: 1833, Lord John and Lady Viola Hammond remain the talk of the Ton as they continue to remain estranged for eight years with no heir, but he never cared because his solid best friend cousin Percy is next in line. That changes when John receives a letter from John’s widow Constance that he died along with their son. Grieving for his loss, John needs an heir because he will not allow the estate to be destroyed by his next in line. John visits Viola, informing her of the deaths and that he expects them to share a conjugal bed once he returns from the funeral. Viola says she will not sleep with him; John says he is within his legal right and she will or else he will take her to the House of Commons where even her ducal brother knows he will win. Following the funeral, John returns to London to get Viola. He admits that he wed her for her money, but liked her. She asks for more time and they begin seeing one another for he courts his wife who he is beginning to fall in love with while she always loved him.

Note: This is from myspace blog dated 11/25/05. I thought I'd put it over here.


Isabel Says:

All right. If that was me and my husband and Joey said "Look baby, I need a son, so you and me are getting it on" I would say F*ck you asshole. I mean, Viola put up with 8 years of watching John having affairs. She couldn't divorce him cause this was back in the day when you couldn't. John starts courting his wife, hoping she'll forgive him and fall in love with him. However, she can't get over his affairs. John tell Viola thatbecausee she turned him away, he could only go so long before turning to another woman. He only had the affairs cause he was lonely and trying to forget Viola. Excuse me while I gag.

So, I didn't care for this book. The only thing that kept me reading was that I was curious to find out what Viola would do. Yeah, no reread for this one.

Grade: D, only because the book did keep me interested.

Holly says:

I have to disagree with you. I loved The Marriage Bed. Although the whole "You have to give me an heir" thing irked, I wasn't totally turned off by it. I read the first two books, Guilty Pleasures and His Every Kiss first, and to be honest, I hated John by the time I was finished with those two. After the way he treated Viola, I didn't think he could be redeemed.

But I was wrong.

He certainly wasn't my most favorite hero, but I liked that she didn't just cave in to him and give him what he wanted. And that scene where he's standing in the rain nearly broke my heart.

I'm not excusing his past behaviors, but I think Laura Lee Guhrke did an amazing job of turning him around for me. It wasn't one of the best books I've ever read, but it wasn't too bad.

I give it 3.5 out of 5

Jazz says:

Okay I read the first two books in this trilogy and loved them soo soo much. In those books you meet the Heroine from this book, Viola. You fall in love with the heart broken woman who at a very young age married a man she loved and who betrayed her and has been having continual affairs. You never meet John outright but hear about all the horrible things he does. So by time I started reading TMB I was ready to hate him. Well let me tell you LLG did aawesomee job at making you fall in love with a man that was so wrong in everything he did. The reason I gave this book a C was not because of the writing, which was top of the line, or the lack of interest in the story cause I was so into it. But because I personally could not imagine making any of the decisions the heroine did.

After John had had affairsamongg many women of the ton for 9 years he decides to come back to Viola because he finally needs an heir. He basically tells her the reason he went to all of those women was because she turned him out of her bed and was so unforgiving. Well she turned him out of her bed because she felt betrayed when she found out he had lied to her and was keeping a mistress while they were courting. Then instead ofapologizingg or begging for her understanding and explaining he gives her a month to 'get over it' and come back to him and when she doesn't he just leaves. Then starts the 9 years of affairs. During that time Viola is forced by her social standing to suffer through dinners, card games, balls and more with the women her husband is sleeping with.

Now LLG did a very good job of redeeming John...how heart broken he was when his sister died when he was just a child, how his parents never showed him any love, how his best friend and cousin died. But still can all theunhappinesss he suffered through be excuse enough for all he did? Not to say in the nine years they were married he didn't change but did thatcancele out all the horribly wrong things he did to his marriage? I just don't know.

One other thing that John did that really rubbed me the wrong way was when Viola, after taking a huge chance on loving himagainn, asked if he would promise to stay faithful he wouldn't promise. He said it depended on her! Well if he really loved her, as he supposedly did at the end, no matter what she did he would have stayed faithful. Right?

But like I said in thebeginningg I did end up falling for John, and I loved Viola from the start. But honestly I don't know if I could have made the hard choices Viola did. I give hera lott of props as a great heroine, it would take a very strong woman to forgive like she did.

Grade: C

Labels: , , , ,

---------------------------------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All graphics made by Mailyn of ImaginaryOrigin.Blogspot.com unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy any of my designs.