Hero of the Month

Edward Cullen from SM's Twilight

Hero of the Week Archive
Hero of the Month Archive

Our Favorite Authors

Author Blogs That Rock

Our Personal Blogs

Random Books from our Library:

Rowena Is Reading:

Isabel is Reading:

Holly is Reading:

Grace is Reading:

Jazz is Reading:

Daphne is Reading:

Recent Posts

Check it out!
Hot Stuff by Carly Phillips
Beyond Seduction by Emma Holly
A Holiday Giveaway!!!
We Moved!!
A Matter of Temptation by Lorraine Heath
The Lyons Lady by Julie Garwood
Hero of the Week: Sam Starrett
The Daystar by Rene Lyons
Midnight Sun by Rene Lyons

Old Stuff

January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2008

Links

Google
All About Romance

Wanna Buy A Good Book?

Barnes and Nobles
Borders
Amazon
Half
E Bay

Email Us:
Got a question you want to ask us? Email us at:
sfinest@gmail.com

Credits:

Visitors

Who links to us?

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Hot Number by Carly Phillips

The Hot Zone:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:
Micki Jordan, co-ownder of The Hot Zone Sports Agency

Micki Jordan, publicist to the brightest stars in the sports world, is pleased to announce the end of her tomboy ways, effective immediately. While she will still be able to discuss the finer points of the two-man defense, Micki has transformed herself into one hot number, and she will no longer be known as "just one of the guys."
To that end, Micki is now holding tryouts for the position of new man in her life. Current leading contender Damian Fuller is a professional ballplayer and a major-league playboy. Those who would like to go head-to-head with the wildest player in the league for a chance at winning Micki's heart should apply in person . . .

Let the games begin.


Now at first glance, this book seems to be like every other predictable contemp romance with a sports focus - with the hero fighting the premature end of his sporting career and the heroine battling her own insecurities as well as trying to to succeed where every other woman had failed: to break through the hero's defenses and prove that all their tomorrows should be spent together.

Yes, this book definitely had all those qualities but it was far from a disappointment. In fact, the first time I read this book I was completely hooked. I chanced upon Hot Number a little over six months ago while I was shopping for snacks with Dylan at Wal-Mart. So as the two of us browsed the aisles talking and what not, I continued to flick through the cute book to see if there was anything of interest. And yes, I was definitely interested. I think I devoured the Prologue, the first chapter and half of the second before I realised that I was practically reading non-stop in the store. I knew then, that if I couldn't stop reading at the store, there was no way I could leave it behind. And thankfully I didn't.

The fact that I was on vacation at the time visiting some long distance friends and still couldn't bare to put the book down, should be confirmation enough that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Micki Jordan was a spunky heroine and even though she was sporting some insecurities she was still able to be the confident assertive heroine we all love. Damian Fuller, the hottest player on and off the field was definitely a treat. What I loved most about him was his sense of honor, especially towards Micki. And it's no wonder Micki fell for this particular ball player.

I haven't been all too impressed by Carly Phillips other books so I was quite surprised that Hot Number had fast become one of my romantic sports favourites - alongside The Chicago Star series by SEP.

Hot Number is apart of a three book series, centering on the Jordan sisters, beginning with Hot Stuff. Hot Item is scheduled to be released in June 2006 and you can bet that I'll be anxiously awaiting for my copy.

If you're looking for a light romantic read, I'd definitely recommend Hot Number.

Dylan's Review:

Hero:
Damien Fuller
Heroine: Micki Jordan
Category: Contemporary
Grade: B+


Grace did a spectacular review on this book and I just wanted to add a little bit to it since I just finished reading this book myself.

This book was definitely on my TBR list and has been since that memorable day that I stood in Wal Mart trying unsucessfully to have any kind of conversation with Grace, whom was visiting from her far away homeland of Australia. I have Carly Phillips to blame for stealing precious time away from Grace's first trip to the states to visit myself and our friends. She was so engrossed in this book and after finishing the book myself last night, I completely understand why she was so wrapped up in it.

Now, I should add that the reason I'm just barely getting around to reading this series is because I have been very wary of trying anything new by Carly Phillips (and by new, I mean new to me) because I haven't been "wowed" by Carly Phillips yet. I mean, I've only read one of her other books and that was the first book in The Chandler Brother's series, Roman's story. I think it was called The Bachelor and though I liked it well enough, it didn't have enough of a pull for me to think "Wow that was a great book" but I thought it would get better as the series progressed but then I never finished Rick's book. It was the first book that I never finished and to this day, almost 3 years later, I STILL haven't finished that book. So I never got around to reading Chase's book which I hear is the best book and a favorite among CP fans.

But I can finally say that Carly Phillips has wowed me.

The storyline behind this book isn't a new storyline, it wasn't fresh, it wasn't something that I haven't read before but none of that mattered to me while reading this book. Carly Phillips did a wonderful job writing this book.

I absolutely LOVE this kind of storyline and Carly Phillips delivered a great rendition to the ol' Aging Athlete denying the end of his career and tomboy unsure of her worth as a woman. Damien Fuller was a memorable hero and Micki was a fantastic heroine! The storyline didn't drag at all and it was just fun, light and very fulfilling. A truly great read!

Ya'll should definitely pick this book and give it a whirl, I'm so glad I did!

Labels: , , , ,

---------------------------------------------

7 Comments:

Blogger Daphne said...

I honestly didn't enjoy this one. I understand it's meant to be a light read, but I just wasn't feeling ANY depth to it.

December 19, 2006 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

I really liked it, but what's good for some isn't good for others, so that might just be the case with this one, this one was such a cute read!

December 19, 2006 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Daph,
I didn't know you read this one! I thought you would have stopped after Hot Stuff. But Dee's right, we all have different taste, so it's cool if you didn't like this one. Dee and I can love it enough for ya too. ;)

Dee,
I'm thrilled that you enjoyed this one! Didn't you just fall head over heels in LOVE with Damian and his honorable and protective ways? *sigh* He's my all time favourite CP hero. Haha.

And I'm glad you can now see why I was so engrossed in this book at Wal-Mart. I felt bad reading as we walked the aisles, but damn..this book was good! LOL.

December 21, 2006 at 2:57 AM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Grace,

This book was just so something that we'd enjoy..the storyline was fantastic (and one of our favorites) and then there was just Damien himself...I cracked up everytime he said, "Fuller you are an IDIOT!" hehe, I thought it was so cute! HE was a fantastic hero!

December 21, 2006 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

*sigh* I know. I did a quick re-read last week while you were reading it and fell in love with Damian all over again. I think what really got to me about him was just how he respected and treated women in general. It was good to see how well he was brought up..and awww, how cute was the scene where he listened to all his messages and was slightly embarrassed because Micki heard a crapload coming from the women in his family? Awwww.

December 22, 2006 at 12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, girls. My friend just gave me this one a couple of weeks ago. I'm actually in the middle of this one. What a coincidence.... since I haven't been to this blogger in a few months.

December 29, 2006 at 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. Well, I finished this one a coupla nights ago, and I thought this one was better than the first one.... I kinda was hoping for more with 'Hot Stuff', but i think it reminded me too much about Kat Martin's 'Midnight Sun', only a little better, but it started getting annoying.

January 3, 2007 at 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All graphics made by Mailyn of ImaginaryOrigin.Blogspot.com unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy any of my designs.